USED HOT TUB CLEARANCE
December 17, 2018
Beachcomber 550X $2897.00
Cover and Set up
New Seals - Jets
Lazy Boy $2697.00
New cover, rebuilt pump
New seals - jets
December 17, 2018
Hot tubs get used a lot over the holidays and here are some practical tips for enjoying your tub.
1. check your GFCI monthly to make sure it is working properly.
2. Make sure your sanitizer levels stay in the proper range so that the water is clear and pristine, and no one develops any skin sensitivities over the festive season. During times of high use, your floating dispenser may not keep up to the sanitizer demand and you may need to add swat or granular chlorine or bromine if the tub is getting lots of use. A good rule of thumb is 1 person creates a demand for 1.5 PPM of sanitizer every 15 minutes they are in the tub, so you need to do the math. If you are shocking the water make sure to leave the cover open for 10-15 minutes so what gases off the water can escape.
3. Young children should not be exposed to hot water for any extended period of times they don't have the body mass and their internal temperature can rise quite quickly. If little ones are using the tub it is always a good idea to turn the temperature of the water down.
4. Safety is always paramount for the enjoyable use of hot tubs and pools. It is a good idea to have some guidelines (aka rules) for everyone to safely enjoy the experience.
5. If the water in your tub goes out of whack it is a good idea to bring a water sample into the store and have it tested in our state of the art spin lag. This takes all the guess work out of getting the water back to clear and you get to chat with our knowledgeable staff for 5 minutes while the test is being done. If your tub is not working properly give us a call and if we can't talk you though a solution we have full time technicians ready to come and help you.
6. Water balance and sanitizer levels are the key to hassle free enjoyment of your tub and there are a number of therapeutic products you can put in the water as well as some fantastic fragrances that are water chemistry neutral to enhance the tubbing experience.
7. Feel a cold coming on? Turn your tub up to 104 and jump in for a few minutes. Hot water has always been known to have positive health and healing effects for we humans.
8. Be aware that alcohol is absorbed into your system at a much faster rate if you are in your tub and your blood alcohol level can increase quite quickly.
9. Be safe, enjoy your family, friends and hot tub over the holidays and have Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy and prosperous New Year!
IT'S POOL CLOSING TIME - HERE ARE SOME TIPS
October 1, 2018
It is pool closing time and here are some tips.
A few days before closing, bring us a water sample for testing at the store and we can tell you what the water needs in order to be in the proper winter parameters. It is important to do this as cold water becomes more aggressive and the alkalinity levels need to be higher for the winter.
A good quality closing kit should help to ensure that the water will be clear in the spring when you open it.
Make sure water is drained out of pumps, filters, chlorinators, and heaters to avoid damage and costly repairs in the spring.
Not all pools are the same and hence closing procedures can vary. If you are unsure what to do, ask us, or hire us to do it for you.
If you put a traditional cover (tarp) on your pool, make sure the cover sits on the water and comes straight up the walls. Don't tent the cover away from the walls as the weight of the rain water, ice and snow might pull your cover into the pool, or the ice could cause it to fail. Above ground pool owners should check the cover a few times over the winter an dmore often in the spring to make sure the cover is not putting stress on the walls r damaging them.
We are always happy to answer any questions you many have on the operaiton of your pool for closing or opening.
WATER BALANCE AND CHLORINATION
July 18, 2018
We often hear, "my pool is green, what can I do about it?" Water in pools usually turns green as a result of an algae bloom. Algae can get in a pool from a number of sources (imported on someone's bathing suit, airborne, rain, etc.). Some algaes can be very difficult to get rid of. The pool's first line of defense against algae is chlorine and the second line of defense is a good algaecide 60% algaecide on a weekly maintenance program, virtually eliminates the risk of getting an algae bloom. If the pool water is out of balance, ie alkalinity, ph and calcium are not balanced then the chlorine that goes into the pool may not be 100% effective, balanced pool water is much easier and less costly to maintain. When we see an issue with the water in a pool or hot tub, we always look at sanitizer levels, water balance and filtration. These ar the keys to clear clean water.
July 18, 2018
We are often asked "how do I tell if my pool is losing water to evaporation or has a leak?" The best way to tell is to mark the water level on the skimmer face plate of your pool with a pencil or piece of duct tape and get a bucket of water. Mark the level of the water in the bucket with a pencil or piece of duct tape and set the buket close to the pool. In a couple of days, check the pool and the bucket and compare the amount of water lost by each. If they both lost the same amount then it is evaporation, if the pool lost more water than the bucket then you may have a leak in your pool and will need to do further investigation.
2017 COAST PERFORMANCE EXCELLENCE AWARD
April 18, 2018
Blok Swimming Pools and Hot Tubs are recipients of teh 2017 Coast Spas Performance Excellence Award.
January 4, 2018
IT'S MINUS 20 AND MY TUB'S NOT RUNNING
We get many calls with hot tub owners saying "I just checked my tub and it's not heating, what should I do?
First - turn GFIC breaker off for a minute or so and turn it back on to see if tub will start up in normal opoerating mode. If it has been off for any length of time and it is cold outside, it is probably frozen and you should turn the power off to the tub.
Second - You should immediately get a heat source preferably a small electric space heater into the cavity where the equipment (spa pac and pump(s))are located so they can thaw out and a technician can come and see what is wrong with the tub and make the necessary repairs. If it has been super cold (-20 or colder for any length of time) it may take a few days for the tub to thaw depending on how much insulation is in it and the location of the equipment.
If the tub freezes hard enough something may break and the water may drain out of the tub, in which case you definitely need to contact us and we an explore your options regarding repairs, timing and costs.
You should check you tub once a day to make sure it is running and the power is on to it. Also tub owners should test their GFCI's at least once a month to make sure they are operating properly and keeping you and your family safe.
WHEN YOU FILL YOUR HOT TUB - IS THE WATER BROWN, GREEN OR CLOUDY?
May 12, 2017
When you fill your hot tub, is the water brown, green or cloudy? is your water hard or does it have tannins in it? If so, the x-10 per filter is the solution for you, a reusable pre filter that will remove up to 99% of water containments. Just connect to your garden hose and enjoy clear contaminant free water in your tub when you fill it. One filter can be used 8 times or more to fill your tub.
As always - call the store for details 613-735-6845
DO YOU HAVE AN ABOVE GROUND POOL?
May 10, 2017
If you own an above ground pool, it is a good idea to periodically look at the cover to be sure that the cable on top is not putting excessive stress on the top of the pool, because of the amount of water and or debris on the cover. With the amount of snow and rain we have had pool covers have a lot of water on them and we are starting to see some damage to pool tops from the weight. It is better to have the cover in the pool rather than a bent wall or top rail.
NORDIC HOT TUBS - DESIGNING SPACES
April 18, 2017
COAST WELLNESS AND SWIM SPAS
March 6, 2017
Coast spas is the only hot tub manufacturer to make an infinity edge hot tub and swim spa . Combined with features such as xtreme pumps for a variable current to swim against cyclonic filtration which according to Pleatco ( a hot tub filter manufacturer ) is the only type of filtration that makes sense for pure ,clean water, a corning fiberglass steel reinforced shell (exclusive to Coast Spas) that make Coast the best made hot tub /swim spa in the world and a spa that is self cleaning. Coast is an ISO certified company which means you can trust in a brand that has certified quality. An infinity edge swim spa allows the swimmer a view which is much like a natural river or lake and is not swimming into a wall which is the view a swimmer has in a traditional swim spa. Hot tub seating in one end of the swim spa also provides that hot tub experience after your swim workout or anytime you just want to soak in hot water .
THE OLD ADDAGE...
February 15, 2017
The old addage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure holds true for most things expecially Hot Tubs and Pools. It is far easier to maintain water balance than to correct water balance, and water balance is the key to hassle free operation of hot tubs and pools. Bring us in a water sample and have it professinally tested once a month. It takes about 5 minutes, doesn't cost anything and our certified water pros will get you on the right track.
ARE HOT TUBS HYDRO HOGS?
November 7, 2016
We often hear the comment that hot tubs are hydro hogs and with the increase in hydro prices this can be a large concern. Hot tubs are like any other product or appliance and can have varying degrees of insulation, from none to full foam cabinets which afffects the energy efficiency and hence the cost of operation. We believe that full foam is the only insulation that makes sense in the climate we live in. Like your house - more is better for a number of reasons, not the least of which is efficiency. The other factor for efficiency is the condition of the hot tub cover. As covers age, the foam in them has a tendency to start to absorb water and as they do they become heavier and less energy efficient. The life expectancy of a good quality cover is 3-5 years,. However there are covers in the market place that will only last 1 year. Cover life of quality covers can be extended with a bit of cover maintenance each year.
SUMMER OF 2016 AT BLOK POOLS
November 7, 2016
Wow the summer of 2016 is history and was one that indeed made history for record heat. We had a lot of families that decided in June that they wanted a pool but alas at that time of the year pretty well every pool company is booked for the season and a lot of these folks were disappointed, so now is the time to book your pool for early installation in 2017. We already have some booked and are getting new inquiries every day, so don't wait, now is the time to get your pool booked and build some great family memories in 2017 in your back yard.
ONE ONLY - PRE-OWNED TUB (SOLD!)
May 9, 2016
Just arrived - one pre-owned Beachcomber 321 with new cover, new jets, Plug N Play 1 only $2,297.00, call us for more details
NAPOLEON GRILLS - FEATURES AND OPTIONS
April 18, 2016
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6SaltzckxpU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GRILL DIFFERENT - GO ROGUE
April 18, 2016
MARCH DRAW WINNERS
April 8, 2016
Our march Draw winners were Stacey Norman and Bart Neville.
IT'S BBQ TIME - OUR 2016 GRILLS HAVE ARRIVED !!
April 8, 2016
It's BBQ Time and our 2016 grills are arriving in the store. Starting at $255, come in and check them out.
Many other in store promotions in celebration of our 50th birthday.
CASCADE 2016 BY COAST SPAS
March 3, 2016
BACKYARD POOL & SPA SAFETY RULES
March 3, 2016
- Stay witin sight and reach of children in, on or near water at all times. Active adult supervision is the primary layer of safety.
- Always watch children closely when they are playing with inflatable toys or swimming in lifejackets as these do not replace active adult supervision for safety.
- Encourage swimming lessons andfirst aid instruction for all family memers or guardians.
- Restrict access to your backyard pool or spa and ensure that the four-sided barrier conforms to local by-laws.
- Restrain from propping gates open, or disaling alarms on doors that connect to pools or spas.
- Keep all chemical products away from chlldren and other unauthorized individuals.
- Encoulrage walking only around the poolside, Running is prohibited.
- Always swim with a "buddy" or with an adult supervisor.
- Do not swim or soak if you have been drinking alcohol.
- Drain all backyard wading pools after every use.
- Never dive into a spa, an above ground pool, or the shallow end of any pool. Always enter pools feet first.
- Do not use slides on above ground pools.
- Establish a set of pool rules and ensure that everyone using your pool follows them.
- In the even of emergency call 9-1-1.
NAPOLEON GRILL ENVY
January 12, 2016
NEW FOR 2016
January 12, 2016
We will be stocking the Napoleon 500 Series - P500, Pro500. Call us at Blok's for further info.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MFmWMJR0FoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GFCI (GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERUPT)
December 22, 2015
Don't forget to test your GFCI (ground fault circuit interupt) regularly and check your filter cycles on your tub to make sure it is filtering often enough. If you are unsure how to do this, give us a call 613-735-6845.
ENJOY THE BENEFITS OF A HOT TUB
November 16, 2015
The simple act of immersing yourself in hot water sets in motion a wonderful chain of events that underscores just how closely our health and well-being is attuned to water. In hot water, your circulation adjusts to create a slight increase in blood pressure and blood rushes to the skin, where it's further warmed. The blood vessels expand and the pressure drops back down. The warmed blood penetrates deeper into the tissue below the skin, bringing more oxygen. As more vessels expand, you notice a soothing sensation. Your muscles start to relax and your body becomes more efficient at cleansing carbon dioxide from muscles. Your immune system kicks in, increasing antibody production; endorphines - the body's natural painkillers are released, melting away aches and pains.
Add to this the therapeutic stimulation of a Coast Hot Tub's high-pressure jet nozzles pulsing hot water onto your sore muscles and joints. The massaging action on soft tissue blocks pain input by acting as a counter-irritant on nerve endings. clustered jets massage specific groups of muscles simultaneously - such as the neck, shoulders, back or feet. And you can direct jets to deliver water streams in a vigorous moving pattern to provide progressive relaxation of specific muscle groups. You can also use specialized massage inserts to put just the right amount of motion and pressure on specific areas, just as a massage varies muslce manipulation for maximum effect.